We finally got tired and decided to do something about bookmarks, we wanted to make them available on all devices and keep them organized. One of our guiding thoughts was that it should be easy to organize them using Windows, Mac or Linux normal file system or using a web browser. No more organizing using awkward bookmarks management built into browsers. Using our web or mobile apps, a great overview of all bookmarks should also be available with small thumbnails of the web sites.
It seemed like a dream, create bookmarks on a computer and instantly have them available through your iPad, Android tablet or smart phone. Since we decided to use our file system and cloud service these bookmarks would also be possible to share with friends. Although it took us a while to get the user experience right, it finally is ready. So what do you think about the result?
- Download and install CloudMe for your desktop, https://cloudme.com/sync
- Create a folder on your desktop or where you want to have your bookmarks, for instance a folder named Bookmarks
- Open the CloudMe Sync user interface by right clicking on the CloudMe icon on your taskbar (close to the clock)
- Drag and drop the Bookmarks folder to the folders under the Synced-tab, this will add the Bookmarks folder as a sync folder
- In the window that pop up, choose to “Add” the folder, then close the CloudMe Sync window
- You are now ready to start creating sub-folders and adding bookmarks into your new Bookmarks folder, with Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari or Firefox you can go to any web page and then drag the address field and drop it in your Bookmarks folder, you have now created a new bookmark file
- If you are using Google Chrome, you can login to the CloudMe web app and go to your Bookmarks folder, then drag and drop any open tab in Chrome into that folder by start dragging the tab and hover the tab where you are logged in to CloudMe and finally dropping it in the file list
- Using your web browser, iPad, Android tablet or smartphone you can now start viewing, organizing and seeing all your bookmarks as thumbnails! Conveniently switch between grid or list view to also see the name of the bookmarks
Sharing recipes with friends
You can set up any of your folders with bookmarks as a shared folder, either for read-only access through a WebShare or for a group of people to jointly add bookmarks to. In the example below the Recipes bookmark folder is shared as a Collaborate folder, allowing all invited friends to also add their own recipe bookmarks.
Follow these steps to share a folder:
- Create a new folder or select an existing folder
- Right click the folder and choose Share (also available in right side menu)
- Choose Collaborate to allow other people to add their recipes and set a password
- Invite your friends!
Shared bookmarks are perfect for planning your next vacation with your family or friends, buying new furniture with your spouse, sharing wine tips for your private wine club, creating a list of items to buy online, sharing book recommendations, creating a list of music or movies to see or buy or why not use it to plan your wedding?
Sharing your favourite bookmarks with everyone
All CloudMe users have a public profile page under https://my.cloudme.com/user_name. You can choose to create a specific bookmarks folder like My Favourite Sites and share it with everyone by making the WebShare public. Bookmarks you put in this folder will then be published on your public profile page for everyone to enjoy.
Bookmarks across Mac, Windows and Linux
We have managed to support all common bookmark formats from these operating systems, which means that you can safely add bookmarks to the Bookmarks folder from your Mac, then later from your Windows computer and still view them on your iPad or through our web app on any operating system – it all works seamlessly.
Mixing bookmarks with other files
If you are working on a project, it is perfect to be able to mix documents, PDFs, images and bookmarks with articles and reference material in one folfer. CloudMe also make thumbnails for PDFs and images.
Please note that all web sites will not get a thumbnail. Our provider has a huge catalog of thumbnails, but all web sites are not represented. After a couple of requests for unknown web sites, they will eventually be added.